Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default question about homemade vanilla extract

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
> >> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
> >> the plastic.
> >>
> >> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
> >> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
> >> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
> >> different ;-)
> >>
> >> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
> >> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>

> >I always use bourbon when I make my own.

> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
> the same.

AFAIC, all you need is alcohol (or some liquid, booze seems most common)
as a carrier for the vanilla essence. I don't know many recipes that
ask for more than about a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract. I don't
concern myself with any lingering cheap brandy flavor that might remain
in my dish after I've baked it. And if it's in an icing, a little
brandy never hurt anything.

You're making this way too complicated. You fishing?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance