Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Anyone tried drying limes?

merryb wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
>
> > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> > (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> > dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> > any tips?

> I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration.

If they were inedible then your glace procedure was incorrect. When
done correctly glaced citrus is very edible, also expensive to
purchase... glaced citrus is a confection enjoyed by many, used in
many ways, can be coated with chocolate too.

There are various types of limes, those typically used for juicing are
not the same as those that are dried for other culinary use.
Dehydrating juicing limes is an exercise in futility, may as will just
toss em in the trash and save all that labor. Not all limes glace
well either, those types with thick rind work much better... just as
tangerine peel works well dehydrated for flavoring it does not lend
itself to candying.

The types of limes commonly sold in US markets are not suitible for
dehydrating.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...es-of-lime.asp

---