Posted to alt.food.wine
Doug Anderson Doug Anderson is offline

Default cellaring/humidity

Ronin > writes:

> On 2008-09-21 10:08:00 -0700, Doug Anderson
> > said:
>
> > Ronin > writes:
> >
> >> I have seen posted here that 56 deg F is the proper cellaring
> >> temperature, and I wonder if anyone can offer a citation for such, or
> >> knows of any study done to show what is the proper temp and humidity
> >> other than "common knowledge." Further, has there been any studies as
> >> to how maturing is effected by a few degrees warmer or cooler? In my
> >> own case, I have an uncontrolled basement room which stays about 55
> >> deg in the winter, and 65 in the summer. And as I am advancing in age
> >> (as which of us isn't?) I am finding myself wondering how I can push
> >> maturity without damaging the poor babies...

> > Good question, and I'd love to hear what others have to say.
> > The only controlled experiments I've read about have been done by
> > this guy (Chris Miley):
> > http://www.winecellarsecrets.com/win...emperature.htm
> >

> Another question brought up by this interesting website - he notes
> that the optimum humidity is 70%, but if I raise my orchid room above
> 60%, the room turns black with mildew. Now, that is admitedly a much
> warmer clime, but I knew a man back East (US) who had a temp/humidity
> controlled above ground wine cellar and the room was dripping with
> water, and the paper cases were falling apart and some damn fine wine
> was in very ugly bottles - all spotted with red and black mold/mildew.
> Does anyone else put up with those conditions??

I always wonder about how accurate most of our humiudity measurements
are (at least for people like me who've bought relatively inexpensive
consumer thermometer/hygrometers).

My humidity measurement (in my mostly below ground, non-temperature
controlled cellar) is typically around 65%. No dripping, and no
mildew. I don't generally keep paper cases in there for more than a
few months at a time, but they don't fall apart.

Of course I really don't know what the (relative) humidity actually is!