Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default cellaring

"Ronin" > skrev i melding
>I have seen posted here that 56 deg F is the proper cellaring temperature,
>and I wonder if anyone can offer a citation for such, or knows of any study
>done to show what is the proper temp and humidity other than "common
>knowledge." Further, has there been any studies as to how maturing is
>effected by a few degrees warmer or cooler? In my own case, I have an
>uncontrolled basement room which stays about 55 deg in the winter, and 65
>in the summer. And as I am advancing in age (as which of us isn't?) I am
>finding myself wondering how I can push maturity without damaging the poor
>babies...

56? What I've heard is 50F...
There is no argument - lower temperatu slower development, higher means
faster.
Too fast normally means an unbalanced result and should be avoided. A very
low temperature means you'll have to wait very long (the fabled stash of
great wines at Glamis castle, Scotland, discovered some time in the 60-ies
or 70-ies had survived a century at 41F...)
My basement is 45 in winter and 65 in late summer and seems to be fine. The
important thing is to avoid daily shifts in temperature - a slow rise and
fall through the year seems to be quite acceptable.
my 0.02EUR
Anders