Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
SystemX SystemX is offline

Default Study Says Going Veggie can Lead to Brain Shrinkage

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> SystemX wrote:
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:

>> snipped BS (again)
>>>
>>> Conclusion: Low vitamin B12 status should be further investigated as
>>> a modifiable cause of brain atrophy and of likely subsequent
>>> cognitive impairment in the elderly.
>>>

>>> It isn't being vegetarian per se;

>> Well done, go to top of the class, now FOAD.

> YOU **** off and die, 2nd Jizzstain of Chris or Marks de Shitbag or
> whatever sucky nym of yours I've forgotten.
>

>>> it's being deficient in B12, something vegetarians *commonly* are
>>> unless they take supplements.

>> The study, bum-breath, was about the elderly, the elderly are
>> *commonly* deficient of B12, if they eat meat or not.

> Prove it, jizzstain.

You can look as well as I can; lazy boy.

Here's a few:

(1) Vitamin B-12 deficiency in the elderly: current dilemmas

SP Stabler, J Lindenbaum and RH Allen
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center,
Denver 80220, USA.

Vitamin B-12 deficiency is present in up to 15% of the elderly
population as documented by elevated methylmalonic acid with or without
elevated total homocysteine concentrations in combination with low or
low-normal vitamin B-12 concentrations.

(2) Metabolic evidence that deficiencies of vitamin B-12 (cobalamin),
folate, and vitamin B-6 occur commonly in elderly people [published
erratum appears in Am J Clin Nutr 1994 Jul;60(1):147]

E Joosten, A van den Berg, R Riezler, HJ Naurath, J Lindenbaum, SP
Stabler and RH Allen
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals KU Leuven, Belgium.

Measurements of the serum concentrations of the metabolites
homocysteine, cystathionine, methylmalonic acid, and 2-methylcitric
acid, which accumulates when vitamin B-12-, folate-, and vitamin B-6-
dependent enzymatic reactions are impaired, should provide a better
indication of intracellular deficiency of these vitamins.

(3) Prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in the Framingham elderly population

J Lindenbaum, IH Rosenberg, PW Wilson, SP Stabler and RH Allen
Department of Medicine, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York,
NY 10032.

The prevalence of cobalamin deficiency was > or = 12% in a large sample
of free-living elderly Americans. Many elderly people with "normal"
serum vitamin concentrations are metabolically deficient in cobalamin or
folate.