Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Rec: Bacon-Oyster Muffins

This looks different, and possibly interesting. I am
crossposting, so be sure to select a group if you reply.

Bacon-Oyster Muffins
Source: American Cookery, February 1931, p. 525.
Recipe put into modern format, etc. by Jean B.

2 1/4 c flour
generous tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 tsps baking powder [yes, this is the amount given]
2 tsps sugar
1 pint oysters
1 c milk
1 egg, beaten
2 oz bacon, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sift flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Add sugar.

Drain liquid from oysters; mix with milk and egg. [I guess one
would have to compare other muffin recipes to figure out total
amount of liquid?] Turn this into the dry ingredients and stir to
a smooth batter. Mix in bacon.

Drop a spoonful of batter into each of 12 [prepared] muffin cups.
Top with a single oyster, add the rest of the batter.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until done.

Note that if the bacon or oysters are salty, the amount of salt in
the recipe may need to be adjusted.

--
Jean B.