Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2005 Ridge Geyserville

Today, we threw a party for 16 3- and 4-year olds to celebrate Andrew's
4th birthday (actually tomorrow but what the heck!). After 6 hours of
frantic running around in very humid 86°F weather, we decided that we'd
take ourselves out to dinner tonight, so repaired to our little
community's attempt at New American cooking, with the best wine list in
town. With a dinner of rabbit cacciatore with crimini over penne (my
dish) and bacon-wrapped smoked shrimp, we got:

2005 Ridge Geyserville (40th Anniversary bottling)
nose: pencil lead, bright berryish fruit
palate: medium body, deep fruit, good acidity, smooth tannins

In part, we ordered this wine to see if reports of its atypical nature
on the Internet could be verified. I am relieved to say that we saw no
signs of a change in house style at Ridge. This wine was forward, but
not overly oaky and well-balanced with abundant fruit. To me, it
follows in the footsteps of those many wonderful Geyservilles that
preceeded it. I'm happy that we have a few bottles of it in the cellar.

Mark Lipton