Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM TammyM is offline

Default Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> TammyM wrote:
>
>> Was wonderful! I think I went slightly overboard with the cayenne
>> pepper in the pork dish as it definitely set the tongue to tingling
>> but it was
>> absolutely delicious.

> Dang. I tried to google the 'Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with
> Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated,
> September, 1997)' recipe on the Cook's Illustrated site, but turns out
> I have to be a member to access it. I could of course, sign up for the
> 14 day 'free trial' membership, but I'll pass.
>
> Don't s'pose you'd consider sharing this recipe (in your own words, of
> course) with me via email?

Hmmmm. I was sure the old recipes were accessible to those without
memberships.

OK here goes. And I'll write it up exactly as I prepared it, including my
changes:

Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine
Vinegar Pan Sauce

2 1-lb pork tenderloins (orig recipe calls for 1)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Cut tenderloins into 1 inch medallions (remove silver skin first). Pound to
about 3/4" (I gave 'em one good thwack with the meat mallet). Season with
s&P. Heat oil in large heavy skillet - medium high heat. Add no more than
6 medallions to the pan. Let them sear on seasoned side for about 80
seconds (CI is VERY detailed). Season 2nd side for same amount of time.
Finish remaininng medallions. Remove from heat

Sauce Ingredients.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons sugar (I tried to cut this back by half but found the sauce
needed the 2nd teaspoon of sugar. YMMV)
Olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sherry (I used port and it was wonderful; I'm sure sherry would be
good too)
1/2 cup chicken stock (I used 8 oz)
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon butter (optional, this was my own addition after tasting the
final sauce step)
2 tablespoons heavy cream (ditto)

Mix spices/sugar. Heat oil in same pan in which pork medallions were
cooked. Add onions and cook about 2 mins, until soft and beginning to
brown. Add spice mixture, cherry and vinegar and bring to boil; scrape
bottom of pan . Reduce mixture for 2.5 minutes. (I didn't bother timing).
Increase heat to high and add chicken stock and raisins and juices released
from pork medallions. Boil vigorously until syrupy. Add butter and stir
until melted. Turn off heat and add cream. When cream is incorporated,
turn heat to medium and add pork. Coat on all sides. Allow pork to cook an
additional 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning.