Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default WOT: BYE BYE Barack... HELLO Sarah!

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:19:52 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > I spent today (Saturday) assisting residential college students where I
> > work with setting up their computers for Internet access. While I was
> > helping one freshman, she was sitting in her dorm talking with her
> > roommate and a friend about the election and Palin.
> >
> > This young woman said she honestly thinks her parents would rather her
> > be a ******* then a Democrat, but that there is no way she would ever
> > vote for McCain due to his opposition to abortion rights. Her two
> > friends said the same thing.

> that's why i thought george would never make it 2000. either the women
> didn't know, or what?

The woman who I spoke with on Saturday is a college freshman. She was
too young to vote in 2000 and 2004. This is no doubt the first
presidential election where she's old enough to vote.

> > I also spoke with a 50 something female friend of mine who is a
> > long-time Hillary supporter. She thinks it was a lousy idea for McCain
> > to pick Palin. She said McCain has to be nuts if he thinks he'll win a
> > lot of votes from Hillary supporters by picking an anti-choice woman as
> > his running mate.

> that's my thought as well. had your hillary supporter been thinking about
> voting for mcgrampa before?

I think she was leaning toward McCain, but I am not sure. Some other
women I know (also in their 50s) said they felt McCain's decision to
select a far right woman as his running mate is an insult to them, but
those women are all Obama supporters from the get go. This means that
McCain certainly isn't winning any points with Obama supporters (no
surprise there), but he's not even winning any supporters over from the
Hillary camp, except for those few who have already decided to support
him because they were Republicans in the first place.

I also spoke with some other young women yesterday while I was sitting
in their dorm rooms waiting for Symantec Endpoint Protection software to
install (its a slow process). They all said they would never ever vote
for a candidate who opposes their right to chose regardless of the
candidate's gender or party affiliation. One group of three women who I
asked (all in the same dorm) thanked me when they asked me who I plan to
vote for and I told them Obama.