Jeneen Sommers

Default grilling on the K

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> The distance isn't too great; your fire is too small. You want to get
> the dome temp up to 550 or 600 F for grilling. Fill up the firebox
> with lump, add a couple chunks of hardwood or fruitwood, and then open
> top and bottom dampers all the way. In 20 minutes or so, you should be
> well on your way to 550 or 600 F.

Ahh...I knew you guys would have the secret. It's a #7, and you're right -
I make the fire too small for grilling, probably out of fear of the air
holes plugging up. I managed to do that shortly after I got it, and when
I opened the top giant flames came out, inscinerating my pork and taking
several tiles off. I haven't had that happen since, so I guess it's time
to get over it and start piling the wood in.

Thanks Kevin & Bob!

Jeneen