Posted to rec.food.preserving
Deidzoeb Deidzoeb is offline

Default Using leaves of dill instead of "head" of dill

The Zydeco pickled green beans recipe from Joy of Pickling calls for
one head of dill in each pint of pickled green beans. I bought some
fresh "baby dill" at the grocery store, hoping this won't make a big
difference.. Then I googled "head of dill" to find out exactly how
much or what part of it is supposed to be used. Some kind of "seed
head" which seemed to be lacking from the bunch of baby dill I bought.
There was no part of it that looked like this:
i183.photobucket.com/albums/x318/turbo-1/dill.jpg

I just used a few tablespoons of leaves for each jar instead.

From what I've read, most herbs have a negligible impact on the
acidity of the recipe when used in small amounts. Will this be safe?
Will it have a stronger or weaker flavor, or just different?

Thanks for your help.