Graeme Walker

Default use of Rosemary herb

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> > doing quite well. I love the
> > aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> > thought about putting a
> > few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
> >
> > Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> > with a rolling pin. Then what?
> >
> > Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks
> >

> A little rosemary goes a long way so think pinches and not tablespoons. It
> especially shines when used with lamb or pork and even better if used
> together with garlic (which a little goes some way, but a lot goes a lot
> longer!). Another good combo is chicken-lemon-garlic-rosemary.
>
> Jack

Bob,
A particular favourite in the UK is to get a lamb shoulder (or 1/2 a
leg). Have your butcher bone & tie it and make about 20-30 small
incisions all over the meat. Push a small sprig of rosemary and a
small piece of garlic into each incision (You'll find that the garlic
pushes the rosemary into the meat) Marinate in olive oil for an hour
or so then roast in the oven for about 1 hour then finish off on the
BBQ.
Works well with mint sauce.
Also, your rosemary bush will benefit from a good pruning each autumn.
This encourages new growth in the spring and stops your bush becoming
to "woody". Dry the cuttings and keep for further use