Local

Default Bad news from my doctor

In article > ,
"John O" > wrote:

> > Take it very slow and get up to running 1 hour a day, six days a week.
> >

> From the start, how long (in months) did it take you to be able to run for
> an hour? I'm having a hard time getting past 30 minutes.
>
> John O

Probably 4 months. The trick is to run slower than you want to when you
start running for exercise. You should run at a pace that you feel is
laughably slow and you could run at that speed all day. I laugh at
newbies who hit the track and sprint/walk. They end up injuired and
swear off running. The natural instinct is to race every workout -
don't do it. You should feel comfortably strong when you finish, not
dying.

Start slow, wear the proper sneakers...

Above all, remember your cardiovascular system and muscles improve much
faster than your ligaments. Run slower and shorter than you know you
are capable of and slowly increase your distance. I run at a given
pace/distance for at least 4 weeks before I increase either.

In the beginning, I ran about 12 miles a week. After about 4 months, I
would run 6 miles in an hour and do about 24 miles per week. After 7
months, I ran my first marathon. After a year, I ran 40 miles a week
and can easily run 8 miles in 60 minutes.

Over the last year, I have dropped my BMI 5 points and lowered my blood
pressure from prehypertensive to normal. Also, I eat like a pig - I
have to eat a lot to support my activity level and not waste away to
nothing.

To make this BBQ*related, running for fitness is like BBQing: patience
is the key.