Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default O.T. Medi-Ped Diabetic Shoes

Julie Bove wrote:
> "curmudgeon" > wrote in message
> news
>> Do any of you out there know which if any Wal*Mart store is selling the so
>> called *Medi-Ped Diabetic Shoes* ?
>> Now these Diabetic Shoes are recommended by the American Diabetic
>> Association.
>> These shoes sell for about 30 plus dollars apiece.
>> Which is quite a saving over the $100 to $400 that is being charged by the
>> specialty shoe shops that carry regular Diabetic Shoes.
>> When you consider that *1 in every 14* Americans has some form of
>> Diabetes,
>> there is a market for these low priced Diabetic Shoes.
>> They would be a great help for all those families on either a fixed or low
>> family income.

> I don't know of any that sell them and I would really doubt their quality.
> Also, most of us do not need diabetic shoes. Those with complications to
> the feet *might* need them, particularly the added depth shoes. I mainly
> wear Birkenstock or New Balance. Also have one pair of Nike. They now come
> in wide.

Julie might have something there. WalMart is known for contracting with
companies for a line of product bearing the company's name. This
product, however, will be made to WalMart's specifications and will most
probably not equal the manufacturer's 'famous' quality.

My DH, who has had diabetes for over 20 years, only started having to
wear something higher than K-Mart grade shoes. It's not from the DM,
either, but because he's just getting old.

I wear SAS shoes because I have genetically awful feet and they are the
only sandals that I can wear in the world. I can also wear their
walking shoes without custom orthotics.

He bought a pair one day and has sworn by them ever since.

We are lucky to have one of the few actual factory "outlets" (there are
some factory stores, but they are not discounted) near us. The shoes are
a little pricey, but wear well and are so worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Shoemakers

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation