Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave W Dave W is offline

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Aug 27, 9:15*am, Sheldon > wrote:
> > On Aug 27, 9:36 am, Dave W > wrote:

<snip>

> > > You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
> > > charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
> > > tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
> > > also usually more than happy to pick it up.

> > Wishful thinking... those non-profit orgs ain't stoopid... lucky to
> > get a receipt for $25 on a used oven... and they're not gonna send a
> > truck to pick up one item. *Where I live large kitchen appliances are
> > best put out at the curb with the trash, my private trash guy charges
> > $10 to pick up a stove... last time I got lucky, someone glommed my
> > old stove before trash pick-up day... seems in rural areas folks ain't
> > picky, any furnishings I put out gets picked up in under an hour. *Old
> > computers I donate to the local school, I have to deliver and last I
> > delivered a PC they were giving their standard $50 receipt, and that
> > was for a working PC with monitor, keyboard, and speakers... was way
> > outdated capacity/speed wise but schools can use them, plenty good
> > enough for teaching purposes.

> One of the hidden benefits in living in a town that is home to lots of
> "New Americans" (Bosnians, Somalis, Sudanese, Asian refugees is that
> our charities will come and pick stuff up. They furnish a lot of
> houses and apartments and need damn near everything from beds to
> bicycles. They were thrilled to pick up my old table and chairs and
> my sewing machine enabled a couple of women to make some desperately
> needed money.
>
> Lynn in Fargo

I was, uh, amused by Sheldon's comments. I use my own mini van every
week or two to pick up items like stoves, dish washers, window air
conditioners, and even refrigerators for the local Habitat resale shop.
Every Saturday they schedule their 25 foot box truck to pick up
donations around town. Occasionally when they are short handed I
volunteer (well, my wife volunteers me) to drive that truck. (The truck
is easier on my arthritic back since it has a lift gate.)

Yeah, we have to pay to get rid of appliances that have gone belly-up.
But if it works, there are always people who can use it ... "new
americans" and old ones alike. Wishful thinking, indeed.

Regards,
Dave W.