Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

On Aug 27, 9:36�am, Dave W > wrote:
> In article >,
> �"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.. �
> > It's in perfect working order too. �No bites on Craig's List and I even
> > offered it up for free on some of the free groups. �Guess I'll trash it.

> > Michael

> Michael,
>
> You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
> charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
> tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
> also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Wishful thinking... those non-profit orgs ain't stoopid... lucky to
get a receipt for $25 on a used oven... and they're not gonna send a
truck to pick up one item. Where I live large kitchen appliances are
best put out at the curb with the trash, my private trash guy charges
$10 to pick up a stove... last time I got lucky, someone glommed my
old stove before trash pick-up day... seems in rural areas folks ain't
picky, any furnishings I put out gets picked up in under an hour. Old
computers I donate to the local school, I have to deliver and last I
delivered a PC they were giving their standard $50 receipt, and that
was for a working PC with monitor, keyboard, and speakers... was way
outdated capacity/speed wise but schools can use them, plenty good
enough for teaching purposes.