Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Farrel Farrel is offline

Default Chocolate makers vs. chocolatiers

> * * Well I buy stuff from retailers and even Trader Joe's has it own
> factory which
> was recently moved leading to supply problems. *Maybe TJ's factory just
> makes
> the bars but I think it may be working on the chocolate production as well.
> Last I heard it was in Belgium though.

I have no knowledge, but would be very surprised if Trader Joe made
their own chocolate. I would strongly presume that they have
contracted with a Belgian chocolate maker to produce bars under the
Trader Joe name. Incidentally, their chocolate is wonderful and on a
price per gram basis is darn darn cheap. I once did an interesting
comparsion of regular Hershey bar (60 g or so) vs Lindt bar vs Barry
Callebaut broken up into 500g blocks by Whole Foods and Trader Joe
slab (about 250g). The last two were so much cheaper (per gram) and
Trader Joe's was phenomenally cheap. But then with so much chocolate
in the house one just eats more chocolate. That invevitably costs more
money and more time. The time is need to exercise to burn the energy
content off. I have no chocolate satiety center in my brain.