Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ted Mittelstaedt Ted Mittelstaedt is offline

Default Jars and Lids

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

> "Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

and

> >> I prefer the lid says nothing.

> > Me too. They used to have lines on them that you could write on but
> > most pens didn't work well. I'd like pretty round stickers to come with
> > the lids that I could write on--- like the ones that came with the 12 oz
> > jelly jars.
> >
> > Isabella
> >

> I actually signed on to a website with a gal who made these labels, both
> plain and fancy. A bit pricey, but pretty. Labelzine.com I think was the
> website, I think. Never got any unwanted mailings or virus from them, but
> too pricey for me.
> Our Dutch Oven fancy cookstuff store has some nice labels, too. Or one
> could investigate 2" or 2 1/4" circular labels from the office supply

store.
> I use cheapo plain address lables mashed on the front. I like plain glass
> jars instead of the prettified ones.
> Edrena

I use Sharpies also, although rarely. Mainly for stuff (like canned pears)
that I would never give away as demand from the family for it is too
great, and mainly to date it.

For my jams I usually don't date them. Each year the new batch goes
on the shelf in the basement and the remains of last years batch gets
moved to the side - and from that pile, goes all the stuff given to
casual friends and the church bazzar, etc. The family gets from the fresh
batch.

For the stuff that goes to the church bazzar what I do for labels is
I print them up on plain 8.5x11 office paper on a laser printer then
cut them out, and use rubber cement to glue them to the jars. I
put what it is on the top, my contact info, and on the bottom I
put a small label saying:

"please re-use jar for food storage or return to Ted at the church office"

I have actually gotten a number of them back this way. I don't
work for the church but the receptionist there knows me and
sets them aside for me.

The only problem with donating them to the bazzar is they have
no idea how to price them - the first year, they sold all 6 pints
I donated for around $5 for the lot, in something like the first
5 minutes. I was kind of irritated at that one, although the
folks who bought them told me a couple months later how
much they liked them.

Ted