Alex Rast

Default Defining chili??

at Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:26:27 GMT in
(Dimitri) wrote :

>"Peggy" > wrote in message
>> We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile
>> with beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>> exactly, defines something as a chile?
>>
>> Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

>A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or
>powdered form.

Since this definition has had a few loopholes found in it, how about the
following modification:

A spicy stew, in which the prevailing flavour comes from any variety of
capsicum, either in fresh or powdered form, where the amount of capsaicin
present is sufficient to create a distinct sensation of spicy-hot on the
tongue.

--
Alex Rast