Posted to rec.food.preserving
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

zxcvbob wrote:
> When I dry apples, I pre-treat them with a Campden tablet (from a
> winemaking supply store) solution. They turn out ghostly white, like
> sulfured apple slices. It also works for keeping fresh apple slices
> from turning brown in the refrigerator.

Campden tablets are sodium/potassium metabisulphite. They have been
linked to all sorts of bad things, and also have been used to prevent
wine from souring during fermentation, dried fuit from changing color
and so on.

The reason why the apple slices look like they are sulfured is that they are.
You're doing it in a solution instead of a gas.

If you are sensitive to sulphites, it's a bad thing to do, and if you are not,
it's perfectly fine. IMHO you should warn people before you give than any
though, especialy people with asthema or are pregnant.

Geoff.