Matt & Terri

Default Smoking Venison

Greetings all.

Now that the "Redneck Ramadan" has started (deer season), I have several
guys at the fire station asking me to smoke deer hams for them. Since I've
never smoked venison before, I thought I'd ask the experts for advice.

I am planning to smoke this on my brand new WSM! It was my present for
letting my Bride of 14 years buy a new house. I know it seems a bit uneven,
but what the heck. I get to live there also.

Anyway, I have checked the FAQ's and found that it did not get a good
review. I have a couple of good rubs in mind. One question I do have is
should I brine the meat beforehand?

One of the guys at another station used to lay strips of bacon on his deer
hams before smoking. I seemed to keep the meat moist. Since he retired, I no
longer have access to his method.

Thanks in advance

Matt