Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

Connie TenClay wrote:
> When I dry apples I don't pre-treat with anything. I fill the trays as
> I go and put them in the dehydrater. Mostly my apples are quite light
> colored.
> Connie TC
> ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
>> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
>> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
>> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>>
>> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
>> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>>
>> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
>> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

When I dry apples, I pre-treat them with a Campden tablet (from a
winemaking supply store) solution. They turn out ghostly white, like
sulfured apple slices. It also works for keeping fresh apple slices
from turning brown in the refrigerator.

Aldi sells quarts of bottled reconstituted lemon juice for $1. I use it
in my G&T's. With enough G, you don't really need *good* lemon juice.

Bob