Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood chips on gas

Dasco wrote:
> Hi - Please excuse the newbie question: Can I use wood chips to enhance the
> flavour of food, using a gas barbeque without coals or lava rock?
> TIA - Dave

Hi Dave,

I used to use wood chips soaked in water for half an hour in a metal
smoker box on the hot side of the gas grill. The nice regulars here
turned me on to using unsoaked chunks wrapped in aluminum foil with a
few small holes punched in the foil.

I have to say that the chunk method provides much better smoke both for
flavor and cooking.

We have a 6 burner grill. I light the two rightmost burners and put the
foil-wrapped chunks over the heat. I put my meat on the left side with
foil under it (keeps the grill cleaner). I've had great success with
ribs, chicken and spatchcocked (butterflied) cornish hens so far. One of
these days, I'm going to try a small pork butt.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation