Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lodge Color or Tramontina?

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:39:32 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy

>>> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
>>> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
>>> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
>>> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
>>> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
>>> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
>>> details like size.
>>>

>> I've noticed that. It seems that brand names don't make any difference
>> in the foods we prepare. The experience of the cook seems to be the most
>> important factor. I'm picky about my fry pans but I couldn't tell you
>> who the heck makes 'em. Mostly I pick them off a rack of the near-by
>> off-price store based on construction, weight and price.

> of course skill is the most important. but while 'it's a poor workman who
> blames his tools,' good tools can make things a little easier.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Cut up chicken will taste the same no matter if you cut it with a Henckles,
Wusthof, Furii, or 99¢ knife from the supermarket. OTOH, it may (or may
not) make a difference if you were using a particular type of cookware, say
a cast iron pan versus the bottom of a stainless steel pot.

I can get better results from the better types of cookware over a cheap
Teflon pan that tends to burn rather than brown.

My wife, for some reason known only to her, wanted a cast iron enameled
Dutch oven. She looked at Lodge, looked at Tramontina (cost effectiveness
at work) and happened to see some others. Looks as though the same factory
in China is turning out the Mario Batali and Martha Stewart lines and they
sell at similar prices. By chance we stopped at a Calphalon outlet
yesterday. They had the same style DO listed for $129, but had an 8 qt. on
sale for $49. Since is was a tax free day in MA, we bought the Calphalon
brand. We also stopped and looked at the Le Creuset store and chuckled at
the price. The color selection is better, I'll admit, but I doubt the
performance is any different.

We also stopped at a Linens and Things store. They have a panini pan kit on
sale. For $10 you get a cast iron grill pan, a cast iron top press, flipper,
tongs, and brush. Regular price is double that. If you don't mind the made
in China sticker, it is a great deal.

In the long run, performance counts much more than the name. I have to
wonder about some of the tri-ply cookware on the market. All Clad gets the
spotlight, but the sheets of steel they come from are probably the same as
many other brands use. I doubt you can tell a fried onion or sloppy Joe
cooked in one brand to the next.

I guess I'm sort of an anti-snob. I won't buy All Clad. OK, I'd buy it for
$15 a pan, but not for the prices they get for most of it.