Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Victorio (style) tomato strainer - any tips on the vacuum base?

Marie Dodge wrote:

> "Mark A.Meggs" > wrote in message
>>>

>> That sounds like mine. The shaft for the screw fits into a nylon
>> bearing/bushing - the crank slides in from the other side mating up
>> with a couple of slots in the shaft.
>>
>> This is day 2 for me - a thin clear plastic gasket that sits between
>> the body of the strainer and the metal screen has already been eaten.

> I know the gasket you mean. It's difficult to twist the strainer on an
> catch the gasket just right. I have another tomato/food mill that's a
> bit smaller and doesn't have these problems. It's made in Italy. I
> looked for a pic online and couldn't find one.
>

>> (14 pints of spaghetti sauce are finishing up in the canner)
>>
>> - Mark

This is the one I have:
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ba...dstrainer.html

As I mentioned, once I super-engineered the thing it worked a lot better
and the parts are replaceable. The extra strainers I have actually were
bought at a thrift shop for 50 cents each so they were a lot cheaper.
Lots of places sell them and I've even seen the Foley food mill on line,
pretty good mill there too.