Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Garlic presses

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote
> Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with the
> heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and into
> the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find the
> press.

This makes sense. I just lay the mallet on the garlic clove and press with
both hands. If I tried banging the flat side of a knife with the heel of my
hand I'd hurt my hand and it would not get crushed. I have done this by
peeling first and by removing the peel after I crush the garlic. I like to
remove the peel first, but am not always that patient. I read that
crushing then chopping releases the most allocin? Or whatever the primary
active ingredient is in fresh garlic.