Posted to rec.food.preserving
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Victorio (style) tomato strainer - any tips on the vacuum base?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:04:02 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
> wrote:

>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Marie Dodge wrote:

>>> I use mine on the diningroom table because my counters also lack
>>> overhang. Mine leak's from the area where the crank is inserted. I put
>>> one of those cheap tinfoil oven-liners under it to protect the table top.
>>> Sometimes juice comes squirting out under such pressure it hits the guard
>>> and squirts across the table.....

>> Depending upon make and model you can generally find a repair kit for the
>> things. Mine has an O-ring that fits in a slot on the crank inside and
>> helps to seal it plus the plastic sleeve that the crank shaft goes through
>> is replaceable. Also the gasket that goes behind the seed screen to keep
>> juice from going back that way is replaceable. You might try a Google on
>> your machine plus repair parts to see if any are available.

>Mine machine is brand new. We only used it three times. There is no slot
>for an O ring where the crank is inserted. It's lined with a nylon thing the
>crank turns in. It looks like a "good fit" but it leaks from there.
>There's nowhere there to add a O ring. Another annoying thing is the
>handle/crank falls out easily if pressure isn't kept on it while cranking.

That sounds like mine. The shaft for the screw fits into a nylon
bearing/bushing - the crank slides in from the other side mating up
with a couple of slots in the shaft.

This is day 2 for me - a thin clear plastic gasket that sits between
the body of the strainer and the metal screen has already been eaten.

(14 pints of spaghetti sauce are finishing up in the canner)

- Mark