Posted to rec.food.preserving
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Victorio (style) tomato strainer - any tips on the vacuum base?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:22:22 -0600, "The Joneses"
> wrote:

>"Mark A.Meggs" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:01:57 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>>Try a little moisture on the suction cup, sometimes that works.

>> I tried water, but may have been using too much. At times it was
>> acting more like a lubricant.
>>
>>> Which
>>>one did you get? I have the Back To Basics strainer with all the seed
>>>screens and have only had one problem with it. The cheesy knurled hand
>>>nut that holds the handle on is pot metal and didn't last. I replaced it
>>>with a nylon insert steel locknut and it works great now. I had my new
>>>kitchen cabinets made with a six-inch overhang on one just to be able to
>>>clamp down appliances when needed.

>> According to the box, it is a Weston Brand Model 200P Roma Food
>> Strainer and Sauce Maker. This one just came with the basic tomato
>> strainer, but others are available if I need them. No serious
>> problems yet, but it's just the first day!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Mark
>>

>Mark - I've tightened my foodmill onto a wooden cutting board, hung that
>edge over the counter and lean on the other side whilst turning with my
>nose. or put a heavy something on the other end kinda.
>or use an adhesive that will roll off, I misremember the type, something
>like rubber cement - what say you George?
>Edrena

A 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood works well (as I've just discovered -
I'm taking a break while the tomato puree boils down a bit).

An added advantage of the 2' depth is that I can wedge it against a
handily located windowsill with my hip and that pretty well locks it
in place.

I'm trying my hand at spaghetti sauce tonight.

- Mark