Posted to rec.food.preserving
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Victorio (style) tomato strainer - any tips on the vacuum base?

In article >,
Mark A.Meggs > wrote:

> The strainer arrived yesterday. Got it assembled this afternoon and
> put it to work (I said I was going to wait 'til next year, but I just
> could let all those tomatoes go to waste).
>
> I've got 8 quarts of strained tomatoes cooking down to sauce right
> now.
>
> Does anyone have any tips for getting the vacuum base to hold? It
> tends to let go about halfway through a hooper load (this is on a
> smooth to the point of being slick surface)
>
> The clamp may work better, but my kitchen surfaces don't have enough
> overhang at the edges for it to get any purchase.

I always use the clamp. I have just a little bit of space at the end of
one of my counters where the clamp fits. I always put a piece of card
board or thin masonite under the top clamp so as not to mar my counter
top.

What about a table or other work surface?

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot