Posted to alt.food.vegan.science,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
[email protected] archaea@scfas.com is offline

Default Some real scientific information on raw vegan diets

> The info above does not appear at the link above.

"Yes it does. What's "interesting and perplexing" is that the author of
this pa ge doesn't recognise the importance of "organically grown..many
high in cobalt.""

I used the author as an exact cut and paste ""'Suzuki1" which does not
appear. Looking closer you mangled it.

As I said the author of the quite extensive site is commended to anyone
wanting a middle of the road view about plant based dietary practices.
It finds no comfort in it for the radical food cultist.

The info he provided about the specific individual contents still stands
as a great caution and refutation. Why didn't you also offer the site
author's evaluation, that would have been more honest and useful.

For one who is interested in a complete scientific evaluation
and not a cherry picked virsion is here in his remarks about the info and
why he is not greatly moved about its claims:

None of the many measurements between the vegans and 4 nonvegan
controls were significantly different, including serum B12, MCV, and
iron indicators. MMA and homocysteine levels were not measured. Some
suggestions as to how the vegans got their B12 a
* From nori or the other seaweeds. The nori was most likely dried.
* Small amounts of B12 from B12 uptake or contamination of plants
grown in manure.
* B12 from their mother's stores.

These results are both interesting and perplexing. The serum B12
levels are easy to explain as possibly being inactive B12 analogues.
But it is particularly impressive that the eight-year-olds were doing
well given that their mothers had been vegan for some time, supposedly
without B12-fortified foods or supplements. Unfortunately, many vegan
children have not had the same positive results and until more is
known about the GS children's diets, this study should be considered
an unsolved mystery.
If these children were my own, I would make sure they started to get
at least a modest B12 supplement to ensure their continue good health.