Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Victorio (style) tomato strainer - any tips on the vacuum base?

Mark A.Meggs wrote:
> The strainer arrived yesterday. Got it assembled this afternoon and
> put it to work (I said I was going to wait 'til next year, but I just
> could let all those tomatoes go to waste).
>
> I've got 8 quarts of strained tomatoes cooking down to sauce right
> now.
>
> Does anyone have any tips for getting the vacuum base to hold? It
> tends to let go about halfway through a hooper load (this is on a
> smooth to the point of being slick surface)
>
> The clamp may work better, but my kitchen surfaces don't have enough
> overhang at the edges for it to get any purchase.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mark

Try a little moisture on the suction cup, sometimes that works. Which
one did you get? I have the Back To Basics strainer with all the seed
screens and have only had one problem with it. The cheesy knurled hand
nut that holds the handle on is pot metal and didn't last. I replaced it
with a nylon insert steel locknut and it works great now. I had my new
kitchen cabinets made with a six-inch overhang on one just to be able to
clamp down appliances when needed.