katie

Default Why I like soy milk

----- Original Message -----
From: "usual suspect" >
Newsgroups: alt.food.vegan
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 7:38 PM
Subject: Why I like soy milk

vitamins?

> >> What's natural about hydrolyzing soy beans to make them taste like
> >> "natural flavour"? Soy beans are pretty bland on their own which is
> >> why most people are put off by them. It's all the fidgeting around
> >> with them in kitchens and labs that makes them taste "meaty."

i think you guys got your wires crossed. in this post, the guy is talking
about natural flavour soy milk. not natural flavour made from soybeans, for
soy sauce, hsp's or any of that.

> > SoNice Natural is GMO free soybeens with water.

> Is that all? That's not what the label says:
> Filtered Water, Organic Whole Soybeans, Chicory Syrup, Tricalcium
> Phosphate, Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Magnesium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid,
> Niacin, Zinc Gluconate, Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A,
> Thiamine, Folacin, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12.
>
> Carrageenan is also known as Irish moss. It's a sea weed used as a

stabilizer. I
> read the labels on milk cartons at the store while ago. The ingredient

list was
> much shorter: milk, vitamin A, vitamin D. No stabilizers like carrageenan.

No
> tricalcium phosphate or magnesium phosphate. No chicory syrup. No sea

salt.

> BTW, the ingredients are listed on your SoNice. And at this convenient web

page:
> http://www.sonice-soyganic.com/Engli..._original.html

this guy is talking about the natural flavour, not the original flavour
which has the long ingredient list you posted. so you picked a different
flavour from the one he was talking about to illustrate a point, but again,
you're talking about something that he's not talking about.
if you go to this convenient web page,
http://www.sonice.ca/English/beverages_natural.html
you'll see that the label does say
"Ingredients: Filtered Water, Organic Whole Soybeans."
and that is all. it's fine to point out that the other flavours have lots of
stuff added, but to suggest that this guy is off base when he says that his
soy milk is only soybeans and water is misleading, because he consumes and
is talking about the natural flavour, and the website clearly states that
the ingredients of that flavour are as he stated.

> Consider the following web page.
> http://www.milk.mb.ca/Nutritin/myth/myths2.htm

just as a note, that page is run off the manitoba milk producer's web site.