Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Slight change in the web site for FAQ

I have been cleaning up the code a bit on http:winefaq.cwdjr.net/ and
made one change on the entry page that you might wish to check. At the
bottom of the page I have added a slide show of all of the wines and
glasses that are used for the random image you see at the top of the
page. It has a background music drinking song recorded in 1906 by a
very famous singer. See if you can guess who she is. The show will not
start downloading unless the large start button is clicked so that it
will not slow the site down for those with a slow connection. I made
the recording using the FLV/SWF format which is now the leading video
format on the web. Many large sites have replaced Windows, Real, and
QT formats with it because it will play on most modern computers and
has many other advantages. Videos on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, YouTube, etc
now usually are in this format. Although I marked it as low broadband
so those with very slow connections will not click it if they are in a
hurry, it likely will play even on dialup, but instead of starting to
stream nearly at once it might have to buffer up to a few minutes
before it starts playing. There is a dark download progress bar that
will give you an idea of how much has been downloaded. That 1906
recording took a lot of processing to sound half way decent. With such
old recordings there is only so much you can do.

In case regular users of the faqs site do not want to go through the
front door, just bookmark the page you get after clicking "Enter" and
in the future you can skip the entry page you have viewed before.