Posted to alt.food.wine
Jose[_4_] Jose[_4_] is offline

Default Newbie Questions On Corks, etc. ?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:16:30 +0200, Mike Tommasi wrote:

> I understand, you were talking about filling bottles from wine you buy
> in bulk.

Feh! Phtooey! Ick!

(Pass me a Bud please - I need to rinse my mouth!)

No, I was talking about opening a 750ml bottle of a nice wine, and as I'm
the only one that drinks, finding a way to preserve the rest of the
bottle from the ravages of oxygen while it awaits its next turn at my
palate.

I open a 750, pour half into a 375, half of the remainder into a 185, pop
the rebottles in the fridge and drink the rest. Minimum ullage means
minimum oxygen, and if it's an already-chilled white I'm doing this to,
there should be no problem (and in fact, I have had no problems). If
it's a room temperature red that I am preserving this way, the wine
shrinks and the air that gets in is still less than what I might trap
leaving ullage. So far the only messes I've had have been drips due to
bad pouring technique.

As for box wines... how good is the box (and the plastic inside) at
housing wine over the long term? (Would you cellar a box of nice wine,
if such a thing existed?) I imagine the plastic bag is not as unreactive
as glass.

Jose