Jonathan Ball

Default native americans and vegetarianism

usual suspect wrote:

>>> Your claim wasn't about generically "crummy" diets. People who eat
>>> junk foods are acquire illnesses, no doubt. So do people who eat
>>> healthful diets. I know people who eat meat and consume dairy and
>>> wheat -- so-called mucus-forming foods according to you and Ehret --
>>> but who are seldom if ever ill. I know raw vegans who are always
>>> suffering from something, including occasional bouts of food
>>> poisoning. Your thesis is ****ed by science and by anecdotes.

>> My diet varies but little. I eat meat in moderation, very little
>> dairy, starches, vegetables, and some (probably not enough) fruit. I
>> drink lots of coffee, some beer and wine, the very rare soda. Some
>> years I get several colds; other years I don't get any.

> There are a lot of possible explanations, including already having
> antibodies for prevailing bugs, stress, etc. Your experience may change
> a bit when your son starts school and brings home new bugs from his
> classmates.

I expect it to change :-( I was aware of the
phenomenon decades ago. It further refutes Orthorexic
John's bogus claim: the parents' diets don't change
when their kids begin going to (and bringing illnesses
home from) school.

>> In the early 1990s I got enough colds that a then-girlfriend thought I
>> was basically "sickly" (despite getting on my bicycle and riding in
>> and finishing the Solvang Century with no training whatever.)

> I'm impressed.

I didn't ride it in a very good time, and the following
year, with a moderate amount of training, I shaved over
an hour and a half off the riding time. The point was,
on just a plain-ol' Californian diet, and despite
getting my share of colds, I could just "do it". The
following year, on the same diet but with some
training, I "did it" even better. Orthorexic John
doesn't know what he's talking about.

>> From 1996 up to about 2000 I think I had maybe one cold. I have no
>> idea what caused the difference, except that I ditched that toxic
>> girlfriend.

> Stress is a big factor; I don't know if she caused you any,

Truckloads.

> or even if
> you perceived it as a stressful relationship

Very.

> (a lot of people do feel
> better after dumping Mr or Miss Wrong). It's also possible she was a
> Typhoid Mary of sorts, especially if she worked around sickly people
> herself.

Mostly she didn't work. That was a big part of the
problem; way more to it that preceded my foolish
involvement with her.

>> A diet that is unbalanced and doesn't provide what are recognized to
>> be important, if not essential, nutrients will probably make one more
>> susceptible to colds; that doesn't mean it "causes" colds.

> Correct. Coleman, though, will only dodge around that as he's already
> done by stating that there are other factors. What a dumb ****.

I don't know if orthorexia causes dumb-****edness or is
a symptom of it, but for sure there's a relationship.