Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
mail box[_2_] mail box[_2_] is offline

Default Practical use of Argon, Nitrogen, CO2

On 7/22/2008 4:00 PM, wrote:
> Spent the last day or so reviewing all the previous posts on the use
> of inert gases for top-up, and wine transfer.
>
> I understand the caveats that Tom S raised about a false sense of
> security.

My newsreader (Thunderbird) seems to be unable to search on sender.
When I try to search I get an error "NNTP: aborted by user" error
message and no results. And so I can not find the posts by Tom S you
refer to. So at the risk of repeating old content, my understanding on
bottled gasses was that the greatest risk was concerning the
quality/purity of the gas, as anything other than medical grade carried
the risk of all kinds of contaminants including oils and other
substances being contained in the gas. Is this a realistic concern, and
if so how have you protected your wine against foreign substances being
introduced via bottles gasses?

Cheers,
Ken