Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Wayne Harris Wayne Harris is offline

Default Practical use of Argon, Nitrogen, CO2

On Jul 22, 4:00*pm, wrote:
> Spent the last day or so reviewing all the previous posts on the use
> of inert gases for top-up, and wine transfer.
>
> I understand the caveats that Tom S raised about a false sense of
> security.
>
> So after all this I would still like to use either Nitrogen or Argon
> for the temporary protection it provides.
>
> However, I am not sure exactly what I need, and how to best use it. I
> want to use it for temporarily protecting partially filled carboys,
> displacing oxygen in bottles at bottling time, *and for protecting
> unfinished bottles of wine (like Private Reserve does). So I know I
> need:
>
> 1. A tank - 20 or 40 seems to be physically the right size but I have
> no idea how long it would last
> 2. A regulator - I believe the same regulator (and tank) could be used
> for Argon or Nitrogen. Question is, what specs for the regulator?
> Seems that you want a low pressure output to minimize wine
> disturbance.
> 3. Nozzle? Gun? - So how do I apply it to the wine? I've read to do it
> gently to not disturb the wine but not sure what fitting I need or how
> to best do it. Given that I also want to use this for unfinished wine
> bottles, it needs to fit that application as well.
> 4. How do I use it as part of the bottling process? How much gas do I
> need to add to a bottle, and how do I control it?
>
> Any additional insight appreciated.
> Dan

I went with Argon.
I got it from a local welding gas supply shop.

I bought a 5lb tank. (looks like http://morewinemaking.com/view_produ...rogen_Tank_5lb)
I got a low-flow (argon/carbon dioxide) regulator.
That, plus a fill, cost aout $190.
Refills are about $11

Then I went to my local hardware store and bought an air nozzle that
looks a heck of a lot like this.
http://www.performanceairtools.co.uk...g200_large.jpg
that cost 12 bucks.

My regulator goes from 0 to 35 CFM.

I set mine to about 3-4 CFM and let it fill. You will need to do your
own calculations using volume of container and flow-rate to determine
how long to fill, but keep in mind argon is heavier than air and
really, you only need to blanket your wine to keep the oxygen off of
it.

I am very happy with it. I use it to top off carboys and bottles (the
few i do not finish......) lol