Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default A quest into the gustatory heart of Seoul

George > wrote:

> Kimchi jigae is one of my favorites.

It is one of mine, too, as is kimchikuk, virtually the same thing but
served sans meat and often sans tofu, making it rather lighter. I cook
it at home sometimes. Another great favourite is yukkaejang. I also
love bulgalbi and bulgogi and sometimes I prepare them at home, too,
either marinating the meat myself or buying it pre-marinated at one of
the Korean groceries here.

> I have been to S Korea many times
> on business and have been to most of those places and lots of other
> similar ones. I tend to favor stalls/tents and mom & pop type places.

I have never been there, unfortunately. I'd like to go, just to be able
to eat as many different foods as possible. Still, I am lucky to be
living in what is effectively local Koreatown here in Düsseldorf.

> Kunjip is also my favorite restaurant in Koreatown.

I should have gone there when I was in New York four years ago. As it
were, we ate soellongtang at Gam Mee Ok. Its raison d'être, its very
essence, is blandness, but blandness of a special kind, which grows on
you. I did not like it the first time; I rather like it now, as I do
similar-tasting galbitang, gomtang and kkori gomtang. It is remarkable
that Koreans like the explosively spicy soup/stews like yukkaejang and
kimchi jjiggae and the bland ones like the above equally well. Of
course, when they eat those bland soups, they still accompany them with
the spicy kimchi, kkaktugi, etc.

Victor