Posted to rec.food.preserving
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Canning recipe specifies jar size - dangerous to change?

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> "Marie Dodge" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
>>
>> [brevity snips]
>>>

>> So it's kind of hard to believe that the
>>> quality is going to be the same before and after a 30-60 minute
>>> cool-down time in a hot canner.

>> I have a Presto 23qt pressure canner and it cools in 15 minutes in my 76F
>> kitchen. 10 minutes after the pressure reaches zero I remove the canned
>> food.
>>
>> . When pressure canning, you
>>> can't use a quick release mechanism or hold the pot under cold water
>>> like you do for pressure cooking. It just has to sit there until the
>>> pressure comes down on its own. That is a lot of time all right---
>>> unless you have 2 or 3 pressure canners, a huge kitchen, and don't mind
>>> fooling with multiple gauges or weights, not to speak of all the storage
>>> room required. I don't think the people who wrote the article I cited
>>> included this cool-down time in their calculations.

>> A kitchen would have to be 95F for a canner to take 30 to 60 mins to
>> cool.

> Not to doubt you or anything, but do you have a cite for this?

A cite for how long it takes *my* canner to cool? LOL!!!!!

> Perhaps it's a function of the model canner one is using. I haven't timed
> how long it takes mine to cool except, except that I know it's a lot more
> than 20 minutes. Once I was trying to finish up some canning before I
> went out to dinner. I turned the stove off at about 6:00, and at 6:20 the
> pressure reading was still over 5.

Try moving it off the burner when the time is up. Some people sit their
canner on the floor on a few bricks where it's cooler. I just move mine to a
cool burner.

>>> OTOH, it does take more energy to boil the huge amount of water
>>> necessary for a BWB canner. But, if you are going to be processing
>>> sequential batches, that would save some of that energy.

>> As it does with a pressure canner. By the time I remove the 1st batch to
>> the counter I have the second batch ready. A hot PC will reach 10 psi in
>> minutes.

> Yes, in minutes, but still in a lot more time than it takes the BWB canner
> to return to a boil if it's already at a boil when you put the jars in and
> you are using the hot-pack method. With pressure canning it's three
> steps: 1) Come to a boil hard enough to send steam through the opening, 2)
> vent for 10 minutes, and 3) bring up to pressure. All in all, that's at
> least 15 minutes, and more likely to be at least 20.

Why are you in such a rush? What's the big deal if one takes a few minutes
more than another method? If you dislike canning don't do it, or if you
don't want to use a PC, stick with the BWB method. Why discourage others who
may not have tried a PC? BWB is very limiting.