A.T. Hagan

Default Funeral Food - Part Duh - some suggestions

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:25:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>If it is your custom and habit to bring vittles to the home of the
>bereaved, do your level best to bring it in non-returnable containers.
>There are a number of inexpensive options in supermarkets these days for
>disposable containers
>
>If you DO bring it on a plate, bowl, or other container you want back,
>stick a piee of tape on it bearing your name.
>
>Instead of sending flowers, send (or bring) a fruit basket. Large
>supermarkets can often prepare them if that's not your cup of tea. I
>always thought that a fruit basket sounded dippy until I received one.
>It's a lovely thought, and practical.
>
>Call the family of the bereaved first and check the territory -- if
>they're inundated with sugar, ask if you can bring protein. (Cheese
>tray and fresh fruit. Hand food.) If you know that small children will
>be around, include a couple PB sandwiches.
>
>If they're inundated with everything, make a note on your own calendar
>to deliver dinner in three weeks, when the dust has begun to settle.
>Call the day before to let them know.
>
>Better still, invite them to your home for a meal. Ask a couple days in
>advance. Depending on how well you know them, push a little and do
>insist that it's no bother and you'd like to see them. Talk about the
>circumstance if it seems like they wish to; don't dwell on it if it
>doesn't look that way.
>
>Don't ask for first dibs on his power tools. Don't ask if she plans to
>stay in their home. Don't ask for a piece of her jewelry. (Don't
>laugh. You wouldn't believe some of the outrageous things people will
>"inquire about" -- wanna be first in line, y'know.)

A good list, Barb. My grandfather died this past summer and the
amount of food that came down on us was incredible. Of course, we
were expecting it and with the extended family being there and family
friends coming by we eventually managed to put it all away or send it
off with people. We let my grandmother do only what she pleased and
no more, the rest of us handled anything that needed doing.

What became a problem for us was the live plants! My grandfather was
always an outgoing person so we weren't surprised at the number of
people who showed up and the cut flowers. But he received enough live
plants to fill the bed of my pick up truck. Filled my grandmother's
living room. She insisted that everyone in the family take some home
with them and she still had more than she wanted.

Have the admit, the peace lily makes my work area look nicer and I
think of him every time I water it.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -