Posted to rec.food.preserving
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Canning recipe specifies jar size - dangerous to change?

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message

[brevity snips]

So it's kind of hard to believe that the
> quality is going to be the same before and after a 30-60 minute
> cool-down time in a hot canner.

I have a Presto 23qt pressure canner and it cools in 15 minutes in my 76F
kitchen. 10 minutes after the pressure reaches zero I remove the canned
food.

.. When pressure canning, you
> can't use a quick release mechanism or hold the pot under cold water
> like you do for pressure cooking. It just has to sit there until the
> pressure comes down on its own. That is a lot of time all right---
> unless you have 2 or 3 pressure canners, a huge kitchen, and don't mind
> fooling with multiple gauges or weights, not to speak of all the storage
> room required. I don't think the people who wrote the article I cited
> included this cool-down time in their calculations.

A kitchen would have to be 95F for a canner to take 30 to 60 mins to cool.

> OTOH, it does take more energy to boil the huge amount of water
> necessary for a BWB canner. But, if you are going to be processing
> sequential batches, that would save some of that energy.

As it does with a pressure canner. By the time I remove the 1st batch to the
counter I have the second batch ready. A hot PC will reach 10 psi in
minutes.