Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Vertical farming

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:48:13 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Lots of buildings in NYC are 'set back' or stepped to provide more
>sunlight to more floors. The building frames wouldn't need to have that
>much floor 'acreage' to work. Think more like terraced hillsides,
>although the terracing isn't really about supplying more light.
>
>Still very expensive to get going.

I agree that it would be way too expensive to make any sense
(hydroponic gardening under full spectrum lighting isn't all it's
cracked up to be either).... but it's fun to dream.

How about mixed usage? The lower, "darker" floors could be set aside
for businesses and residences. I'd also like to see rooftop parks and
orchards.

Mae West