Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Kombucha tea

On Jul 15, 2:18*pm, DogMa > wrote:
> Lew wrote:
> >> ... *the fact that you don't get immediately sick from these
> >> things is only part of the story. *There are fermentation byproducts
> >> that raise your chance of eventually getting cancer. *Certainly not in
> >> all fermentation, but the potential danger is not to be dismissed
> >> airily.

> Warren wrote:
> > ... the esters, etc, that are produced in fermentation, when we're talking
> > Kombucha and other home fermented products, the levels are so low that
> > it's practically immaterial.

> I'd be fascinated to know what data support that unconcern. Fungal
> metabolites are, AFAIK, among the most dangerous (i.e., toxic and
> common) biochemicals known. Esters, most terpenes, etc. are largely OK.
> But delayed lethality from mere specks of things like amanita cyclic
> peptides is well known. The aflatoxins and kin are both severe acute
> toxins and proven carcinogens in microgram daily doses. I'm with Lew -
> not to be fearful, but neither to minimize both known and unknown risks.
>
> -DM

Wow, see I'm happy to buy my salami and cheese and kombucha. I'm sure
I could do it, but I have trouble remembering to water my plants or
cut the grass when I'm busy, I just wouldn't want to trust my health
to a "forgotten" culture of something or other. It does seem cool
though, and I guess if I were more daring/had the time I'd try it out.
I did grow a pretty sweet purple long hairy fungus one time from a
half drunk can of grape soda that fell behind my dresser when I was a
kid. It glowed under black light and I kept it, it probably was
releasing spores and causing massive health issues, but hey it was
cool.

- Dominic