Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DogMa DogMa is offline

Default Kombucha tea

Warren wrote:
> ... the esters, etc, that are produced in fermentation, when we're talking
> Kombucha and other home fermented products, the levels are so low that
> it's practically immaterial.

I'd be fascinated to know what data support that unconcern. Fungal
metabolites are, AFAIK, among the most dangerous (i.e., toxic and
common) biochemicals known. Esters, most terpenes, etc. are largely OK.
But delayed lethality from mere specks of things like amanita cyclic
peptides is well known. The aflatoxins and kin are both severe acute
toxins and proven carcinogens in microgram daily doses. I'm with Lew -
not to be fearful, but neither to minimize both known and unknown risks.

-DM