Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Warren[_6_] Warren[_6_] is offline

Default Kombucha tea

Dominic T. wrote:
> On Jul 13, 11:19 pm, wrote:
>> Yipes! I read that the "mushroom" formed during kombucha preparation
>> is susceptible of being invaded by unfriendly fungae and bacteria
>> unless care is taken; plus the brewing is capable of causing chemicals
>> to leach out of non-glass containers. bookburn

> That's why it is the one bottled "tea" I enjoy. I figure the folks who
> brew it have to be pretty careful or else they would have some scary
> litigation coming their way. But, who knows what effect the
> pasteurization has on any of the good bits. Anything that requires me
> to grow a potentially harmful fungus/bacteria in a non-lab setting
> involving a large pickle jar and a tea towel is not for me. Waaaaay
> too many variables and downsides for a potentially small upside. But
> that's just me.
>
> - Dominic

I've been doing that for many years with no ill effects... Kefir, Mead,
Beer, Yoghurt, and now I've been researching Kombucha to start kitchen
production as well. While I know there was a little tongue in cheek in
your response, you have to be pretty, um.... unsophisticated, to not
follow common sense sanitary protocols to end with a harmful result.
Even bad batches of beer won't kill you, just taste nasty.

Frankly I've seen people eat things that I wouldn't go near with a ten
foot pole, but I've never had a problem with any of the fermented
foodstuffs I've made. Just my $0.03 (due to the weak US dollar).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog