Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Cucumbers

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Hokay, had to go get a package out of the pantry. Here's the USAGE TIPS:
>> Use with the highest quality pickling cucumbers and other vegetables.
>> Use only as an ingredient in a pickle recipe. Store in a dry area to
>> prevent clumping.
>>
>> Package also says - makes it easy to crisp fresh-pack pickles and
>> pickled vegetables and eliminates the mess of a pickling lime presoak.
>>
>> Two ways to Use:
>>
>> 1) Prepare recipe as instructed.
>> 2)Pack cucumbers or other vegetables into jars.
>> 3) Add Pickle Crisp Powder (1 1/2 teaspoon per quart jar and 3/4
>> teaspoon per pint jar) You can figure it out for half pints, etc. I
>> don't do math anymore, it makes my head hurt.

> (remainder snipped)
>
> I like this idea -- adding to the jar instead of soaking.

I do too, and am anxious to try it out. Should work fine IMHO. Calcium
chloride is used in many applications particularly with certain chemical
processes. We have a small plant here that makes calcium chloride, I may
have to see if they make food grade. I know they pack it in 100 lb bags,
that should be a lifetime supply for a pickler. <VBG>