Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] bookburn@yahoo.com is offline

Default Kombucha tea

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:36:09 -0700 (PDT), "Dominic T."
> wrote:

>On Jul 13, 2:07 am, wrote:
>> If anyone has a comment about making kombucha tea or use of tea to
>> dissolve kidney stones, I would be interested to read it. bookburn

>Welp, I broke out my copy of Back to Eden to see what it said about
>kidney stones just for you so here goes (and it was actually cool that
>by total chance it offers a tea) I'm going to paraphrase to shorten it
>a bit:
>
>Prevention: high intake of fluids. 2-4 quarts a day. Kidney stones are
>made up of calcium oxalate eat a diet low in them, avoid items high in
>oxelates such as: spinach, parsley, beets, beet greens, swiss chard,
>asparagus, okra, collards, celery, leeks, and sweet potatoes. berries,
>highest of all fruits is rhubarb. almonds, cashews, peanuts and peanut
>butter. Ovaltine and cocoa as should dark tea, coffee, and dark colas.
>
>Once formed: A tea made of wild carrot seeds, valerian, and pepermint.
>mix together and use a teaspoon to a cup of boiling water, steep for
>30 mins. Take one half cupful every hour until pain is relieved. Queen
>of the meadow, peach leaves, or cleavers may also be used.
>
>Also for pain a hot bath (100f and increased up to 112) while keeping
>head and neck cool with a sponge. Standing up and sponging down if
>getting weak then back in to tub. He also mentions hot compresses on
>the back in the kidney region for pain.
>
>Now my usual disclaimer. I am not a true adherent to this type of
>thing. I find a lot of old remedies have a lot of merit and natural
>cures are sometimes better than medicines or good in conjunction with.
>I find it more academically interesting than a life choice personally.
>
>- Dominic

Thanks for your commentary. I've been drinking lemon juice daily,
after having my kidney stone identified as the typical calcium type.
Lemon could be added to tea, I suppose. The pages I've read suggest
drinking lots of water, avoiding some foods, as you say, and adding a
few others. Tea is often mentioned as a substitute for other drinks,
especially sodas.

Kombucha does get some positive health benefits, a few warnings, but
no special links to dissolving kidney stones, as far as I can tell.
bookburn