Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Recipe and Menu help sought.

"Hoges in WA" > wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a special guest coming for dinner tomorrow night and I've found a
> recipe for Chilli & Orange Duck in one of my Mexican cook books.
>
> I would appreciate some assistance from the knowledgeable with what I plan
> to do.
>
> First, the Chilli paste bit requires Achiote paste. I do not know what
> that is as I can find descriptions of it but can't work out what makes it.
> E.g. "a brick-red paste that imparts a red-yellow colour and a
> citrus-saffron flavour".
> Can anyone tell me what I could use instead if I can't find this. I must
> admit I have never in my life seen it. It may not be important as the
> recipe only asks for 2 teaspoons.
>
> Second, can anyone suggest accompaniments for this? The picture in the
> cookbook (I only have cookbooks with pictures) has the dish itself
> surrounded by some of those fat black dried chillies and some halved
> oranges, so it's not giving me any hints here. Potato chunks of some
> kind? Some sort of Mexican rice dish?
>
> I told this person that we would have Indian but then changed horses
> midstream and have come unstuck a little with my change of plan. There is
> ego at stake here!
>
> Some suggestions would be welcomed.
>
> Hoges in WA
> PS - I done gone bought the duck and it's defrosting right now.

A great combination would be Mexican fried red rice and beans along with a
salsa made from fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic and whatever chile you can get
your hands on. Of course corn tortillas are essential. End up with a flan
for desert.