Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline

Default Recipe for Baja Fish Tacos

aem wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:16 pm, Ablang > wrote:
>> .... Baja Fish Tacos
>>
>> From Every Day with Rachael Ray
>> February 2007

> This post is at least 9 years later than the first time I posted about
> fish tacos in rfc.
>> 2 cups shredded red cabbage

> No, they use regular green (white?) cabbage in Baja.
>
>> 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro

> No, cilantro doesn't automatically go in every Mexican dish.
>
>> 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons red salsa

> Optional at the end.
>
>> Salt
>> 1/3 cup sour cream

> Fresh crema or mayo. Mayo mixed with sour cream is a viable
> alternative.
>
>> 2 cups cornmeal
>> 3 large eggs

> No, no. You want a light batter, like a beer batter or tempura. Not
> a thick heavy one.
>
>> 1 pound cod, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices

> Cod is the most common substitute. In Baja it's whichever firm white
> flesh fish was caught this morning. Most often yellowtail.
>
>> Vegetable oil, for frying
>> Eight 6-inch soft corn tortillas
>>
>> DIRECTIONS:
>> 1. In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, cilantro, 1/4 cup salsa and
>> salt to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and
>> remaining 3 tablespoons salsa. Set both aside.

> No, just chop or shred the cabbage. Salt it if you like.
>
>> 2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon
>> salt. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a fork. Coat the
>> fish slices in the cornmeal, then in the egg, then in the cornmeal
>> again, and place on a plate.

> No, see above.
>
>> 3. In a medium cast-iron or other heavy skillet, pour the oil to a
>> depth of 1 1/2 inches and heat over medium heat until the surface
>> ripples, about 2 minutes.

> You don't really have to deep fry them. Use enough oil so that the
> thickness of the pieces will all be covered when the pieces are
> turned.
>
>> Add about a third of the fish slices to the
>> skillet and cook, turning once, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
>> Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat
>> with the remaining fish slices.

>> 4. In a large skillet, warm the tortillas on both sides over high
>> heat.

> Or just put them directly over your gas flame.
>
>> Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream sauce on a tortilla, then top
>> with a few pieces fish and heaping spoonful of the slaw and fold
>> over. Repeat with the remaining tacos.

> No. Tortilla, fish, squeezes of fresh lime, cabbage, mayo/crema, more
> lime. Optional salsa usually omitted.
>
> For the record, I don't think RR's approach is bad. But if you're
> going to use a specific name like "Baja fish tacos" then you are
> saying this is how they do them in Baja California. Her way is not,
> mine is. People may like eating them either way, or both, which is
> [...]

(not snipping because -aem is DEAD on correct here)

You are absolutely right with your recipe -aem. The order I do, is two hot
tortillas, fried fish, lime juice, green cabbage, white sauce (I usually put
salsa in my white sauce), wrap it all up and keep plenty of napkins nearby.

I always make my fish tacos this way and I love them. Dang, it's time to do
it again. I've got all the ingredients.

kili