Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

Default Recipe and Menu help sought.

On Jul 11, 3:21�am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:

> First, the Chilli paste bit requires Achiote paste. �I do not know what that
> is as I can find descriptions of it but can't work out what makes it. �E.g.
> "a brick-red paste that imparts a red-yellow colour and a citrus-saffron
> flavour".
> Can anyone tell me what I could use instead if I can't find this.

Red food coloring?

I have a package of annatto seeds in my spice rack. The seeds are used
to impart a lovely red color to sauces.

From Wikipedia:

Recado rojo or achiote paste is a popular blend of spices from Mexico.
Originally a Mayan blend, it is now strongly associated with the
Mexican cuisine of Yucatan.

The spice mixture usually includes annatto, Mexican oregano, cumin,
clove, cinnamon, black pepper, allspice, garlic, and salt. The annatto
seeds dye the mixture red, and this gives the meat or vegetables it
seasons a distinctive red hue.

Annatto, sometimes called Roucou, is a derivative of the achiote trees
of tropical regions of the Americas, used to produce a red food
coloring and also as a flavoring. Its scent is described as "slightly
peppery with a hint of nutmeg" and flavor as "slightly sweet and
peppery".

Annatto is produced from the reddish pulp which surrounds the seed of
the achiote (Bixa orellana L.). It is used in many cheeses (e.g.,
Cheddar, Red Leicester, and Brie), margarine, butter, rice, smoked
fish and custard powder.

Annatto is commonly found in Latin America and Caribbean cuisines as
both a coloring agent and for flavoring. Central and South American
natives use the seeds to make a body paint, and lipstick. For this
reason, the achiote is sometimes called the lipstick-tree.

In Venezuela, annatto (called locally 'onoto') is used in the
preparation of hallacas, perico, and other traditional dishes.

In Brazil, both annatto (the product) and the tree (Bixa orellana L.)
are called Urucum and the product itself may also be called Colorau.

In Cuba and other Caribbean islands, both fruit and tree are popularly
called Bija (pronounced bee-ha) instead of Bixa.

In the Philippines, it is called "atsuete" and is used as food
coloring in traditional dishes.

It is a major ingredient in the popular spice blend "Saz�n" made by
Goya Foods.